Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Copic Technique- Fun way to colour HHS Dragons!

Hello High Hopes Fans!

It's Tutorial Tuesday Time and the fabulous Andrea has a fun tutorial for us.

Click here if you are looking for the current challenge.

Also, I'll be back a little later this week to introduce our next round of Guest Divas!!

Now on to our tutorial...

Hello! Andrea here for this week's tutorial. I wanted to share a way to colour up the HHS dragons as seen on this previous card...

I enjoyed colouring him with tons of little dots that I thought it would be fun to share how I did it.

First stamp your image using your preferred copic paper and ink. I used the Copic X-press it paper and Tuxedo Black Memento ink. I let the image dry for about 20 minutes before colouring it. Probably longer than necessary but I didn't want it to bleed in my fancy tutorial pictures lol.

You will need the following Copic markers if you want to use the exact same colours I did- G40, G82, G85, G94, G99. Of course you don't have to use the same colours I did- feel free to experiment!

Taking your G40 marker cover your dragon with dots all over the body where you want the green to show. I left his horns and belly green free.

Next up grab your G82 and cover the body in the same areas but not completely so that you can still see the G40 showing through. This will give it a fun mottled look instead of just one colour in this area. After adding your G82 go over the same area again with your G40 to blend the colours.

Now we are going to give our image more depth by adding shading. I will be the first to admit I am not the best at knowing where to add it so use your eye and start where you would imagine the body to be darker in spots. It may help to put an object on your table under the same light you are using to get a better idea. Take your G85 and start dotting your shaded spots. I extend it quite a way into my already coloured areas as I will be adding more colours for depth and I want to give myself room. You can see the difference in the picture below.


Grab your G94 marker and add more dots in the same area you just put your G85. I typically put it up to half of the G85 dotted area. Looking below you can see it is darker in the shaded areas where I used G85 and G94.
Now I am going to add my darkest dots using G99. I am just putting a thin layer of dots into the same area I just added the G94. This will deepen your shadows and make them flow.

Last step! Now using your first colour G40 you are going to do nice big squishy dots and colour over the entire area to blend all the colours. I dotted and dotted then dotted some more until happy!
Now you are ready to colour the rest of your image! I added glitter to his belly and horns by dotting my Sakura stardust glitter gel pen and quickly blending the dots with my finger. I recommend just doing a small area at a time as it dries really quickly then won't blend. I find doing it this way just adds a sheen of sparkle instead of covering over what you just coloured with the silver glitter if you use the pen directly on your image. I also added some glossy glaze over my dragon (which was still wet at the time of the picture so it's cloudy) and a Viva Decor pen in Ice White pearl for the foamy bubbles.


Now to put this somewhere to dry so my kitties don't leave paw prints in the glazed areas. Those cats find a way into everything! Come back next week to see this cutie made into a card along with the rest of the Diva's creations to inspire your mojo for our bi-weekly challenge!

I hope you find this a faster way to colour so that you don't find time 'draggin'!! Hee Hee, sorry couldn't resist! ;)

Cheers! Andrea

8 comments:

Mary J said...

Fantastic tutorial! Thx so much, will give this a go!

Kristine Reynolds said...

great tutorial!!!

Fairy Cardmaker, Lisa said...

Great mottling technique for the scales! Thanks for sharing.

Whimsey said...

I love to use dots for animals, but still do a horrible job with the shading; this helps a great deal! Thanks for the fabby tutorial!!

Jack said...

Hey thx for sharing such an awesome information.......Your blog post is informative.....:)))

Thanks and Regards
Print T-Shirts

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Love it! I can't wait to try your dottie technique on something :) Thanks for the wonderful tutorial and inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Hey thx for showing such an magnificent information.......Your site post is interesting.....:)))

Thanks a lot and Regards
T shirts printing

Doree - Embroidery & Screen Printing said...

Nice Post!
custom embroidery brisbane
screen printing company